07 June 2016

Hunting for Fawns

Judy Garland is attributed to the saying "The things you see when you don't have a gun"; In my case it was "The things I see when I don't have a camera". I was meeting with a pipeline construction crew at our cabin property when fawn approached within 30 feet of us, stopped and let out a "bleat" sound. I normally would have my camera in hand, but had left it in my truck. I slowly walked to my truck as the fawn watched and as soon as I got the camera, the fawn ran off... No pictures.

I returned a couple of hours later and started searching in the tall grass where I had last seen the fawn. Within 5 minutes I found this little guy in the thick grass. I took a few photos of the fawn but as I repositioned for a better camera angle the fawn ran into the brush.



Most deer give birth to two fawns so I continued my search in the area and within a few minutes I found fawn number 2 in more thick grass.



Knowing the fawn would most likely bolt from its "nest" in the grass, I set my camera for continuous shooting (just hold the button and it keeps shooting). The fawn took off as predicted and I was able to get this shot of the fawn as it made its get-away.

No comments: