15 December 2016

Moonlight & Snow

Early Tuesday evening a snow storm passed through the neighborhood and dumped a couple of inches of snow. By 9:00PM the storm was over and the sky was starting to clear and reveal the bright full moon. As I prepared for bed around 11:30PM I was amazed at how bright it was outside. I was able to take this photo of our back lawn using just the light from the moon.



The fresh snow was clinging to the trees and helped to add detail.



After reviewing my moonlit photos from Tuesday night, I decided to photograph some more of the neighborhood by moonlight. The moon was nearly full and the sky was clear last night, but the snow was no longer clinging to objects as it did the night before. The temperature was 18F when I started my moonlit foray around 11:30PM and drove to our cabin property. It was bright enough that I drove up the cabin driveway with the truck lights turned off and surprised some deer feeding along the edge of the road. The red glow is from the truck brake lights. House lights and a couple of stars are visible in the background.



A shot of the lawn at the cabin and tracks in the snow leading to the outhouse. Not sure if the deer were using the outhouse or maybe the deer were familiar with the 1976 book by Erma Bombeck, entitled "The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank".



A midnight view from the cabin looking west toward our barn.



A midnight view of our barn from the corn field. I counted at least 9 deer leave the corn field area as I approached with the truck headlights off. It was hard for the deer to hide in the bright moonlight.

No comments: