21 July 2017

Lightning

A thunder storm passed through the neighborhood today around 4:00PM while I was mowing the lawn at our barn and I was forced to seek shelter in the barn until the storm pasted. During the storm I heard the loud thunder of several close lightning strikes but didn't know the exact location of the strikes. About an hour after the storm passed I was driving along the township road and noticed damaged bark on a hickory tree next to the road. I thought something had run into the tree but found a band of the bark had been removed from the base of the tree to the very top. The tree had been struck by lightning.



Not all of the bark had been removed from the tree but it formed stripe that twisted around the tree.



Some of the missing bark over 20 feet above the ground.

No comments: