03 May 2019

The Turkeys Are Winning

Another day of spring gobbler hunting and I still haven't (physically) harmed any turkeys. I was in a different location today since I had heard a gobbler near here yesterday afternoon. I had my decoys setup and was in my turkey blind before daylight, and started waiting. Around 8:00AM a thunderstorm rolled in, but I was nice and dry in the turkey blind. As the thunderstorm tapered off I saw movement through the brush in my food plot. It was my neighbor's cows, where I expected to see turkeys. A short time later the neighbor came by tracking down his cows.



I quit hunting early and headed home to find a hen and gobbler in my neighbor's field in front of our house. The gobbler was out of shotgun range and because of the turkeys location next to the road and houses this is a no hunting area.



As I watched the turkeys from my truck the hen walked toward me while it feed and the gobbler kept its distance. The hen got within 40 yard of me and then walked in front of the neighbor's house. The gobbler walked into the woods and started calling for the hen. I parked the truck and went into our house. Later the hen walked behind our house and 15 minutes later the gobbler walked by, still out of shotgun range. This is only the first week of turkey season and next week it will be legal to hunt turkeys all day and not have to quit at noon.

No comments: