25 August 2015

Early Apples

We have a Yellow Transparent apple tree near our barn and the local deer can be found gathering apples as they drop from the tree. The deer will start to appear during the daytime as soon as the apples start to drop and the deer aren't easily scared out of the lawn.



I was mowing the lawn yesterday as a doe and two fawns staged their attacks as I mowed the far side of the lawn. Each time I got within 30 yards of the tree they would retreat to the field and then return as I mowed away from the tree.



The Yellow Transparent is a very early maturing apple that is ready to harvest around Labor Day.



The Yellow Transparent was imported from Russia in 1870 and is a favorite for homemade applesauce and pies. Our tree is loaded this year and I can hardly wait for the first apple pie of the season.

No comments: