24 July 2016

Wildlife Wrangling (Continued)

I started out trying to trap a woodchuck at our barn and within a week I had trapped 4 raccoons and no woodchuck. I checked the trap this morning and found the door closed. But still no woodchuck and no raccoons. This time it was a possum (A.K.A. opossum) in the trap.



While this possum wanted to show me its bright smile, they are not aggressive. When threatened they will growl deeply and show their teeth to scare away predators. If the scare tactic (bluff) doesn't work they will "play possum", mimicking the appearance and smell of a sick or dead animal. This possum was relocated to another wooded area miles away from the barn.



I checked my game camera that is aimed at the trap and see a large woodchuck stopped by to visit the possum in the trap. The time-stamp on the woodchuck photo was 10:47AM, I arrived at the trap and was photographed at 10:49AM. Not only are the woodchucks at the barn annoying me, they are also poking fun at the raccoons and possums in the trap.

No comments: