05 June 2018

Too Much Rain, Too Little Gardening

This has been a very wet spring in the neighborhood and I have recorded almost 8.4 inches of rain within the last month. One recent storm dumped almost 2.5 inches of rain withing one hour, so Mary and I did a road trip to check for damage. A small creek in Rome jumped its banks and flooded this home.



This little tributary was dumping "liquid mud" into Wysox Creek. Photos during the storm and an after the storm photo that shows the rocks that were carried by the muddy water into the creek.



A local farm field was turned into a lake.



It has been so wet that I've only had a couple of days this spring to work in my garden. I haven't been able to plant my sweet potatoes and they continue to grow in our solarium. Unlike regular potatoes which are planted and then hilled up, sweet potatoes are planted in raised mound of soil and my garden is to wet to work in.

No comments: