18 August 2022

Turkeys and Food Plots

Its been a week and a half since I've planted some wildlife food plots and this marauding flock of turkeys has been pillaging the food plots. I chase the turkeys out of the food plots every day, but they don't go very far. I chased them into some thick brush yesterday and when I walked over to the brush they were 10 feet away watching me. It's hard to throw rocks into thick brush.
Their primary target has been the food plot with winter wheat, alfalfa and clover. They think of this food plot as a big winter wheat bird feeder. They destroy the alfalfa and clover seedlings while digging up the winter wheat seeds.
We've had a half inch of rain in the last couple of days This food plot of brassica, rapeseed, turnips and white clover is starting to "green up". Maybe the lack of winter wheat seed in this food plot will limit the amount of devastation by turkeys.

No comments: