07 August 2022

Wildlife Food Plots

Some of my older wildlife food plots were starting to fade and become overrun with weeds. We've received 2.5 inches of rain recently which was enough to moisten the ground and green up the grass. Time to reseed some of my wildlife food plots. About a week ago I sprayed this food plot and two smaller plots to kill off the old grass and weeds so I could do no-till planting of the food plots.

This 3/4 acre food plot was planted with a mixture of winter wheat, alfalfa and white clover. I also threw in some turnip and sugar beet seeds for late season grazing. The two smaller food plots totaled another 3/4 acres and were reseeded with a mixture of brassica, Rapeseed, turnip, red and white clover.
Within minutes of taking the picture of the food plot I had an 8-point buck and these turkeys walk into the food plot.
It was less than 24 hours since the food plot was planted and the turkeys were already eating the winter wheat seed. I drove my truck within 40 yards of the turkeys to deliver my eviction notice. The turkeys seemed to know that turkey season was closed and didn't appear scared of me.

No comments: