18 June 2015

Young Turkeys

I got my first glimpse of some of this year's young turkey poults (chicks). I happened to see an adult hen turkey try to hide in some short grass and after a few minutes she started to walk away and revealed some very small poults.



As the turkeys approached some brush, many of the small poults (about the size of a robin) took to flight and landed in the bushes. The hen remained in the field and continued to walk along the edge of the field softly calling to the poults.



I was able stand 20 to 30 yards from the hen for about 20 minutes as she gathered the young poults. At one point one of the poults flew out of the bushes and flew within 15 feet of me before landing in the field. Eventually the hen collected her young ones and calmly walked over a knoll and out of sight.



No comments: