03 July 2015

Skunks

I have a game camera near the pipeline valves on our cabin property and noticed a photo of a possum (opossum) in the area. I decided to trap and relocate the possum since there are young turkeys in the same area.

The next day after setting the trap for a possum, I had caught 3 young skunks.



I have a game camera set up to watch the trap and see the skunks were trapped about 10:30PM. The game camera took 1,500 photos of the skunks in the trap and their mother trying to get them out.





The skunks had been in the trap for about 12 hours before I arrived to check it. I opened the trap door to release the skunks, but they didn't want to leave the trap. I tried to coax the skunks with food but no luck. After moving the trap, they started to leave one at a time.



After leaving the trap, this little guy wouldn't leave the valve assembly so I had to give him a little help to rejoin his family.



Just like puppies and kittens, a young skunk will remain calm if picked up by the scruff of the neck. The young skunk was moved to a wooded area and released.

No comments: