31 July 2015

Rabbits

The hunting season for Cottontail Rabbits (Sylvilagus floridanus) starts on October 24th and I'm sure the neighborhood rabbits know they're safe for now.

I was driving to a field behind our barn and one of my local bunnies was playing a game of "chicken" with my truck (the rabbit would lose). During hunting season I'd never get this close to the rabbit, but I was able to get within 10 feet before stopping the truck.



When I did stop, the rabbit decided to get comfortable and wait for my next move. My next move was to get out of the truck and look, since I was too close to see the rabbit in front of the truck. The rabbit conceded its loss in the game of "chicken" and hopped into the tall grass, I continued my drive to the field.



On my return trip from the field the rabbit had returned to claim its right to set in the road, I proceeded to explain that a truck will always win a game of "chicken" with a rabbit. The rabbit conceded round #2.



I then proceeded to drive to our cabin and found another bunny waiting for me. No games this time, the bunny took a safer position off the road.

My question is; Where will these rabbits be on October 24th?


No comments: