06 May 2020

Spring Turkey Hunt - Day 4

I was at the turkey blind by 5:30AM for day #4 of the spring turkey hunt and could hear a turkey gobble in the woods behind me. I was back at my day #2 location. With the temperature below freezing, a few ice pellets bounced off the blind as I settled in. Finally a turkey sighting around 6:45 as a young "Jake" walked into the field 100 yards away. This turkey was very cautious of the decoy. It gobbled once and then continued to walk away from the decoy. Two hours later I could hear this same bird gobble continuously as it returned to the field.



For the next 1/2 hour I waited for the turkey to get within shotgun range and then suddenly there was a loud crash in the tree above me. The turkey I was watching was now out of sight in some nearby brush. I flipped the screen on my camera around and stuck the camera out the window so I could determine the cause of the crash in the tree. Directly overhead in the tree was a turkey vulture (Cathartes aura).



As I tried to call the wild turkey back within shotgun range, two more turkey vultures landed in the tree and thereby ended today's hunting.



No comments: