11 May 2020

Spring Turkey Hunt - Day 7

For day #7 of my spring turkey hunting I was back at the same location I used on day #1 of this season. On day #1 didn't see any turkeys at this location, today I had turkeys, but no luck. The turkeys are practicing their own form of social distancing which involves staying out of the range of a shotgun.

I was in the turkey blind at 5:30AM and heard a turkey gobble at 6:00AM. Around 6:15AM a hen walked out of the woods 100 yards away and then a "long beard" gobbler. The long beard gobbler looked at my decoy and gobbled several times but decided stay with the hen he had. After the first two birds headed off for breakfast this young "Jake" came out of the woods to check out my decoy.



This tasty looking young "Jake" was just a few steps short of optimum range for my shotgun when the long beard gobbled and this Jake made a course correction to join his two friends for breakfast.



Around 9:00AM two large gobblers appeared 200 yards away, feeding in the field. I watched these two turkeys for the next hour as they worked within 100 yards of me and then they did an about-face and continued feeding in the direction they came from. Those two gobblers were then replaced with this long beard that got within 100 yards of me before he walked into the brush.



I pulled the memory card on the game camera in this area to check on the turkey activity since my last visit. It looks like today's long beard was here taking a selfie photo at my game camera on Friday the 8th (Day #6) while I was hunting at a different location and not finding turkeys. I have lots of photos of this turkey posing for selfies at the game camera.



I didn't go hunting on Saturday the 9th due to the cold weather, but these turkeys stopped by to see if I was home.

No comments: