30 June 2012

Skunks

If you've followed my blog for any time you'll know I like to take pictures of wildlife, and one of my favorite animals to photograph is a skunk. Today was a good day for photographing skunks.



In the early evening, while driving my old John Deere tractor to our cabin, I spotted this young skunk searching for food along our driveway. Over the years of photographing skunks I have learned how to approach skunks to get close-up shots. I was able to get within a couple of feet of this skunk which was more concerned about its tasty snack (it didn't want to share) than it was afraid of me. After about 10 minutes of photos, we each went back to our prior activities.



As I approached our cabin with my noisy John Deere tractor I spotted another skunk. This was another young skunk, about the same size a the first one but this one had a totally white back and tail. I was also able to get within a couple of feet of this skunk before it wandered to a hiding place under a tree. I continued to see both of these skunks for the rest of the evening as they hunted for food.



No comments: