05 May 2012

Turkey Hunting Problem

We've all heard the story of the boy that went to school and told the teacher that the dog ate his homework. I went turkey hunting and a bear ate my decoy.

It's the start of the second week of spring turkey hunting season and I was up early this morning to try my luck at finding a gobbler. I had placed 5 decoy birds in a field before daybreak and positioned myself in a hedgerow 100 yards away. The plan was to draw a gobbler past my hiding place on his way to the decoys but a large black bear came in before any turkeys.



The bear came in very slowly, sneaking up on the decoy.



As the bear got close to the decoy, a cub then approached.



The mother bear grabbed the decoy by it's head and soon released the untasty bird. A close up view of this photo shows the decoy's head in the bear's mouth.



Mother bear didn't taste test any more decoys and had to explain to the cub about different breakfast plans. As the mother bear and cub walked toward me, 3 more cubs came out of the woods to join them.


No real turkeys were hurt today.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

How cool is that?! Sorry about your decoy, but I bet it was fun watching this learning experience that the cubs had!